Sunday, September 23, 2012

Hi Everyone, I hope all of you are enjoying the outdoors in the sunshine! I apologize for not getting this up earlier...it's because I was out in the sun and lost my sense of time! Parents and guardians, I have a wonderful opportunity that came up unexpectedly, to take the class up to the Geography department at the University of Victoria. There we will be taken on a "walk-a-bout" by Ken Josephson and some of his graduate students, we will hear - and tell - stories, do some community mapping and art work. We had just started community mapping in the class which will be an ongoing theme throughout the year, so I'm thrilled. The opportunity comes partially as a result of UVic celebrating it's 50 Years Anniversary. This is where you come in! Your children have homework this weekend and tomorrow. It is to talk with you, and see if you have any "stories" to do with your community that may relate at least somewhat to UVic and the surrounding area. For instance, I was a small child when I moved to Victoria with my family, and UVic consisted of only 3 or 4 buildings - but what I particularly remember is that on the edge of UVic there was a large field that you couldn't walk through at particular times of year, because the rare meadowlark would be nesting - one of the few protected places for them. Many of you are not from Victoria, and in fact come from very far away. We need those stories too....perhaps you could think about what "community" means to you, and how have you found it here? Are there places or "things" in Victoria that remind you of your original home or roots? Conversation is always an important part of learning....I hope you are able to have lots with your children, my students! Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I'll look forward to hearing the results of your conversations on Tuesday afternoon! **On Tuesday, we will be walking to UVic. Students will eat their lunch in the classroom, and then we will leave at 12:30, walk up and over Mt. Tolmie to Gordon Head Road, and then we will cut through the University grounds to the Geography building to meet up with our hosts. We will leave at 2:30 and walk back the same way. I will have Stephanie, our lovely Educational Assistant, walking with us. We do not need any other adults, but you are always welcome to join us, please just let me know in advance! Thanks.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to come, sounds like fun
(Zackery's Mom)

Anonymous said...

i don't want to come