Thursday, November 15, 2012

Curriculum Completion Day

Hi Everyone, Well, it's been busy! Students have been working hard on their individual community maps. We walked up to the top of Mt. Tolmie for a "bird's eye" view of the community we are mapping and to build on our Sense of Place - what a unique place we live, on the Southern tip of Vancouver Island, surrounded by water on three sides. It's quite amazing to see it, and the maps the students are developing are providing an authentic understanding of mapping and of their environment. We have also been working on the process of writing. Writing is a process, not a single activity, so we are still looking at the structure of a basic paragraph, and learning how to use that structure to the best advantage, so that we can create mental images for our readers. Therefore, descriptive language and finding ways to "hook" readers, has been our focus. Students, I just need to let you know, that when I type this blog, it's in paragraphs...but the blog format takes out all my paragraph breaks!!! It drives me crazy! In Science, along with getting dirty and covered in leaves as we weed the Naturescape and prepare it for winter, we have begun the concept of classification - looking at the characteristics that living organisms have in common, but also the vast diversity of life. Some students are at school this afternoon for Curriculum Completion Day. This is an opportunity for students who have incomplete work, due to being away or for a variety of reasons, to catch up on everything and make sure assignments are done to the best of their ability. I am glad that a number of our students are using this time to ensure they are up to date and have a good understanding of the concepts we have covered so far. Homework Club is another excellent tool for staying on top of work (and I think a few of you would really benefit from regular attendance to Homework Club!!). It runs Monday to Thursday from 2:50 to 3:30 p.m. in the library. I've updated the upcoming dates in the right hand margin of the blog. There are also a couple of fairly recent additions - Advisory 63's definition of community, and good books students have read and think others would enjoy. I think that's it for now everyone - again, I do apologize for not keeping the blog more up to date. I continue to be immersed in an ongoing family emergency, but am hoping that soon my energies will be less divided. Parents, please don't hesitate to give me a call if you have any concerns, or email me at kkilpatrick@sd61.bc.ca. Report cards will be coming home in a few weeks and I am happy to chat with you by phone, email, or arrange a time to meet with you if we haven't already connected. Thanks for your patience everyone.

No comments: